Re: [css3-text] indices and animatable

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins wrote:
>> That's how the index works.  Again, auto-generated.  It just takes
>> the |-separated content of the title='' attribute, or else the text
>> content of the definition, and adds them to the index.
>
> I'm aware it's auto-generated via the 'title' attribute.  My point was
> the resulting index needs cleaning up.  For example, the "tab size"
> entry really isn't a definition in this case, it justs says "the tab
> size is given by the ‘tab-size’ property."

So what you're actually saying is that some things shouldn't be
definitions, right?  We can't actually clean up the index itself,
without manually tweaking the generated file.  (Or adding
functionality to Bikeshed and converting Text to it.)

>> > For property values, I would suggest using indents rather than
>> > entries like "text-justify:auto". Switch from
>> > title="text-justify:auto" to title="text-justify!!auto" and the
>> > preprocessor will indent this for you.
>>
>> Once I move Text over to bikeshed, those titles will go away anyway.
>> I don't see the value in using the !! syntax here, since the
>> properties are already documented in the property index.
>
> It's useful to have an index that's listed alphabetically (see the
> index for Fonts) since the property table is listed by property name
> and not by value.  And the !! behavior is needed to be able to
> distinguish between multiple items that take the same name. For
> example, the 'font-weight' property and 'font-weight' descriptor.

Okay, that makes sense.  I'll auto-gen things for this in Bikeshed,
then, as a Bikeshedded spec has the correct metadata set up already.

> It's also puzzling why the index ends up with a '.' at the end of all
> section numbers.

Because that's the text content of the heading's number span, which is
what Bert's processor uses.  (Bikeshed doesn't do this.)