Re: Fwd: [css3-multicol] Section 8.1: Overflow inside of multicol elements and positioning

Le Mar 20 août 2013 14:14, Scott Johnson a écrit :
> Hi Gérard:
>
> Thus Spoke "Gérard Talbot":
>> Your code (in your 4 columnbox-clip-* tests) could be improved and
>> tweaked
>> a bit
>> - with a doctype decl.
>> - removal of unnecessary code: div.clipwrapper is declared but not used
>> - without prefix, column-gap is 0 but with vendor-prefix, *-column-gap
>> is 1em
>> - Opera 12.16 does not require a vendor-prefix; so, o-column-* can be
>> safely removed
> Thank you for this advice. I have updated the test cases so they have
> these changes.
>>> Finally, Presto, in the case of the transform, handles the situation as
>>> it does in the relatively positioned case. Again, I think this is what
>>> we want, but we should probably indicate the desired behavior in the
>>> spec.
>>>
>>> Given all of this, I would recommend the following text in section 8.1:
>>>
>>> "Floated or in-flow content that extends into column gaps (e.g., long
>>> words or images) is clipped in the middle of the column gap."
>>>
>>> be replaced with the following text:
>>>
>>> "Content within a multicolumn element that extends into column gaps
>>> (e.g., long words or images) which is not absolutely or fixed
>>> positioned
>>> should be clipped in the middle of the column gap such that the content
>>> displayed is that which lies within the rectangle that is the
>>> intersection of the column box with width extending 1/2 of the way into
>>> the column gap on either side of the column box, and the rectangle
>>> representing the content's bounds after the positioning is applied."
>> Scott,
>>
>> I believe I understand your proposed text but ... it would be best to
>> break it into smaller sentences and/or smaller (main, secondary)
>> propositions. A 82-word long sentence is not an ideal way to cover
>> situations.
>>
>> Gérard
> Yes, so this might take some iteration. I haven't written a
> specification before. ;|
>
> How about the following:
>
> "Content within a multicolumn element that extends into column gaps
> (e.g., long words or images) should be clipped in the middle of the
> column gap. For content which is absolutely or fixed positioned, no
> clipping should occur if overflow: visible is specified. For all other
> content, the visible content should be that which lies within the
> intersection of the bounds of the column box in which the content lies,
> with width expanded to 1/2 the column gap on either side of the column
> box, and the rectangle representing the content's bounds, after any
> transformations have been applied."

Scott,

I am not a model of english mastery. I occasionally or often struggle with
sentences of the spec. Others will certainly help you better, more than I
could.

I would be tempted to word this as following:

Relatively positioned content is clipped at both column box boundaries
with an expansion into 1/2 of column gap on either sides.

or (better, I think)

Relatively positioned content that would extend into (and beyond) column
gaps on either side is clipped in the middle of the column gap.

Suggestion: I would always want to be using and re-using the spec editor's
own expressions for consistency.

> Mainly, what I'm trying to get across here is that if we have a
> relatively-positioned item such that it extends outside the column box
> to the /left/,

Right here, I suggest to adjust your

http://people.mozilla.org/~sjohnson/junkyard/b700367/columnbox-clip-relpos.html

test a bit so that the image would be indeed moving to the left so that
the test would be actually testing this extending-(protruding
into)-into-column-gap-at-the-left.
I suggest to move the image further (or later) in the source so that it
would appear in the 2nd column box and then change the code to

img {
  position: relative;
  right: 30px;
  top: auto;