Re: Fwd: [css3-multicol] Section 8.1: Overflow inside of multicol elements and positioning

Scott Johnson wrote:

 > Mainly, what I'm trying to get across here is that if we have a
 > relatively-positioned item such that it extends outside the column box
 > to the /left/, we should be clipping this as well, not just if it
 > extends to the right, unless I'm mistaken about this?

It's for us to decide. I agree that this wording:

  Floated or in-flow content that extends into column gaps (e.g., long
  words or images) is clipped in the middle of the column gap.

seems asymmertical and that it could make sense to clip on the left
side (assuming LTR) as well. Which brings up the question if we should
clip top/bottom, too.

The arguement against adding such rules is that multicol elements
should be treated, as much as possible, like other elements. And
that one sometimes want things to stick out a bit, if done consciously.

Another alternative is therefore to excempt relpos from clipping, e.g.
by saying:

  Floats and in-flow content, except relatively positioned content,
  that extends into column gaps (e.g., long words or images) is
  clipped in the middle of the column gap.

-h&kon