Re: CSS properties for snapping during scrolling

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 04:55:08 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Robert O'Callahan wrote:

 > > To me, it seems that paged overflow is a subset of the MS proposal. In
 > > paged overflow, one would write:
 > >
 > >   .container {
 > >     overflow: paged-x;
 > >   }
 > >
 > > while in the MS proposal you would write:
 > >
 > >   .container {
 > >     overflow-x: auto;
 > >     overflow-y: hidden;
 > >     -ms-scroll-snap-type: mandatory;
 > >     -ms-scroll-snap-points-x: snapInterval(0%, 100%);
 > >   }
 > >
 > > So I don't understand why it's more work to do paged overflow.
 > >

 > Because pagination affects layout of the container's descendants --- they
 > have to be paginated! Your two examples could lead to completely different
 > layouts of the content.

But, don't you need to do pagination in order to address your original
use case? Otherwise, you could end up seeing the upper/lower half of a
line?

The issue can be address by adding line boxes to the union of possible
snap points, I guess.

But I still think pagination is a necessary step if we want the web to
compete with native apps. (And we do.)

-h&kon