Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Normative definition of media types

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> css3-mediaqueries refers to media types in many places, has no normative of
> what are the individual media types, what they mean, or what are their
> groups such as "bitmap" or "visual". The closest I could find is this
> paragraph of the non-normative "Background" section.
>
>> The ‘print’ and ‘screen’ media types are defined in HTML4. The
>> complete list of media types in HTML4 is: ‘aural’, ‘braille’,
>> ‘handheld’, ‘print’, ‘projection’, ‘screen’, ‘tty’, ‘tv’. CSS2
>> defines the same list, deprecates ‘aural’ and adds ‘embossed’ and
>> ‘speech’. Also, ‘all’ is used to indicate that the style sheet
>> applies to all media types.
>

> Proposal:
>
> * Errata Level 3 to add a normative reference to CSS 2.1 for defining the
> media types and media groups. (Media groups are non-normative in CSS 2.1 but
> meh.)

Making a normative ref to a non-normative definition doesn't make a
lot of sense. ^_^

> * Import these definitions into Level 4.

I would prefer just defining "screen" and "print", then deprecating
the rest and making them explicitly match nothing.  That matches
today's implementations better.