[css3-mediaqueries] Normative definition of media types

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:00:28 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

css3-mediaqueries refers to media types in many places, has no normative
of what are the individual media types, what they mean, or what are
their groups such as "bitmap" or "visual". The closest I could find is
this paragraph of the non-normative "Background" section.

> The ‘print’ and ‘screen’ media types are defined in HTML4. The
> complete list of media types in HTML4 is: ‘aural’, ‘braille’,
> ‘handheld’, ‘print’, ‘projection’, ‘screen’, ‘tty’, ‘tv’. CSS2
> defines the same list, deprecates ‘aural’ and adds ‘embossed’ and
> ‘speech’. Also, ‘all’ is used to indicate that the style sheet
> applies to all media types.

Proposal:

* Errata Level 3 to add a normative reference to CSS 2.1 for defining
the media types and media groups. (Media groups are non-normative in CSS
2.1 but meh.)

* Import these definitions into Level 4.

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin