[css-cascade-3] Potentially missing definitions and use case for reincluding "default value"

From: Mike Sherov <mike.sherov@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:43:30 -0400
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Apologies for coming in late on this discussion, and I'm not sure if this
is covered in other specs, but there are a few definitons that I know of
that are not defined in the Working Draft:

1. default value: this is the cascaded value if only the UA stylesheet is
considered. The classic example is "display: block" for divs. This may not
seem useful, but as a library contributor, jQuery sees authors who will
specify a style sheet: "div { display: none; }" and then want to "show()"
the div. In order for jQuery to know the display value for "showing" the
div is "block", default value is needed (otherwise, jQuery adds an iframe
to the page to and appends the div to the page in order to determine that
it should be "block").

2. resolved value: that which is returned by getComputedStyle and is
defined in CSSOM currently, but might belong here as well?

Also, I'd like to make another(?) argument for the default keyword.

3. the "default" keyword: I know it was removed in favor of "unset". But if
I understand correctly, "color:unset;" is equivalent to following
javascript "element.style.color = ' ';". At least selfishly, I would really
really love to be able to truly set the "default value" according to the
definition I listed above.

--
Mike Sherov
Chief Technologist