Re: [css3-multicol] Nested multicolumn elements rendering

"Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> Le Jeu 8 août 2013 17:13, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :

>>> Morten,
>>>
>>> I've created your test (I have set the inner multi-column to
>>> 'column-fill:
>>> auto' to make it a bit easier to figure out and added colored borders)
>>> and
>>> uploaded here:
>>>
>>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-M-Stenshorne.xht
>>
>> Nice. With the inner column-fill:auto you added, though, I wonder why
>> the inner multicol is still forcefully balanced, testing with Presto. It
>> has a nice known outer column height to fill. Perhaps IE has got it
>> right, but I cannot test that browser right now.
>
> I've asked Hakom a similar question on July 21st and he answered:
>
> {
> If height [of a multi-column element] is auto, [then column-fill:] 'auto'
> and [column-fill:] 'balance' should produce the same result.

That's only for continuous media, I think. The inner multicol is kind of
in paged media, and my main point is that column-fill:auto is meaningful
here. column-fill:auto should only be dishonored if the column heights
are truly unconstrained (and even then it can be argued that it's a
dubious thing to do; you could still achieve interesting effects with
only explicit column breaks). At least that's how it is in my mind. :)

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----