RE: URL comparison

From: <sam@cateches.is>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:41:36 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>

> Requests I've heard before I looked at :local-link():
>
> * Simple equality
> * Ignore fragment
> * Ignore fragment and query
> * Further normalization (browsers don't normalize as much as they
> could during parsing, but maybe this should be an operation to modify
> the URL object rather than a comparison option)

What about links that point to a null URL with a hash? ie <a href="#back-to-top">
Obviously this is a local link, but it doesn't really fit into the
host/path/query segmentation that's defined with the :local-link([0|1|2...]) definition[1].
Perhaps a :local-link(hash) keyword would be appropriate so that we could select links within the page?

[1]http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors/#local-pseudo

> However, :local-link() also ignores port/scheme which is not typical.

Isn't it perfectly reasonable to expect that a different scheme/port is running an entirely different application?

-s