Re: [CSSWG][css-overflow] First Public WD of CSS Overflow Module Level 3

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:37:42 +0200
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style\@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Brad Kemper:

 > I mentioned it in another thread full of other points, but how do
 > you feel about making 'overflow-x' and 'overflow-y' be based on
 > writing mode, so that 'overflow-x' overflowed to the left for
 > vertical-rl writing?

+1

This matches Opera's intent, if not implementation (as Presto doesn't
support vertical writing).

 > If there are compatibility concerns, this behavior could be
 > switched on with a separate property, such as 'overflow-behavior:
 > logical | physical', or something like that.

I'd like to avoid such switches as they create more interdependencies.
It's better to have names/values where the meaning is self-evident.
For example, 'text-indent' depends on the writing direction, while
'margin-left' doesn't.

-h&kon