Re: Naming of selector that matches :empty or only-whitespace (was Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2013-04-10)

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:49:57 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:05:38 +0200, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
wrote:

> On 4/22/13 9:22 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
>> wrote:
>>> In Gecko we call this :-moz-only-whitespace.  So I'd offer
>>> :only-whitespace as another suggestion.
>>
>> Clear, but a bit long.  That doesn't kill it, but makes it less
>> attractive.
>
> The much higher clarity of the name offsets the length cost, imo. Short
> and
> obscure/ambiguous is no win.

I don't think the name is that clear - it doesn't really sound like it
includes :empty elements.

(The MDN description illustrates the mismatch, I think: "The
:-moz-only-whitespace pseudo-class matches an element that has no child
nodes at all or empty text nodes or text nodes that have only white-space
in them")

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Opera Software ASA