Re: [css3-regions] flow-into: <ident> content-only

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:30 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I disagree. I think it would be much odder. With text, you get font-size and other font and text properties from the new container (presumably) and the lines still wrap naturally in the new container because the line boxes still exist. What is the width and height of the image when it is content-only? Does it just fill the width of the new container? Can you no longer select it to set a width and height (or if you could select it and set those two properties, then could you set border on it as well, resulting in two borders, one attached and the other detached)?
>>
>> (Actually, you get your styles from your original container.  You need
>> to use @region to override that.)
>
> I stand corrected. But how would you select the image content with @region? You don't need to with text content, because the font and text properties operate directly on the glyphs and line boxes. But most other properties, like width and height, operate on the content box (or on the border box when you have box-sizing: border-box).

You don't, for the same reason you can't use @region to select text.

Actually, that brings up an interesting question for Alan:  Alan, how
are you supposed to style text that has been flowed out of an
element's contents?  There's no container to set properties on.  You
can't pretend that @region is container, because that would mean
mixing properties and style rules, which is impossible due to grammar
ambiguities.

> OK, so I assume you are agreeing that the contents of an image box stuck into a region flow would be similarly unstylable. That just doesn't seem like a good thing to me. I would rather fix "content: url(some-image);" somehow.

Yes, we definitely *also* need a way to provide a single image that
causes the pseudo-element to act like a replaced element.  This has
been a long-standard request, but nobody working on Content has
delayed it.

> And I would rather be able to right a general rule about flowing content without worrying if I had it on a class that occasionally selected an image. And then having to write a separate rule for that.

You... can?  I'm confused about what you think will happen that's so
terrible if you flow the contents of an image out.  It'll look exactly
like the original image, except it wont' have borders/etc. This is the
same as happens with *any* element you flow content out of.