Re: [CSSWG][css-grid-layout] Updated WD of CSS Grid Layout

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:58:27 -0700
Cc: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Julien Chaffraix <jchaffraix@google.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@google.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:38 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Here's a few things I find confusing:
>> - grid-start: -1 means the grid item will go *after* the last explicitly
>> positioned cell, but grid-end: -1 means it will go *in* the last explicitly
>> positioned cell.
>
> If this is confusing, it's because you're thinking of the numbers as
> referring to columns/rows, rather than lines between the tracks.

I also find it less intuitive to align to lines instead of cells, and having both named cells and named lines. Why not just have grid-start mean that it starts on the leading edge of that cell, and grid-end mean that it ends on the far edge of that other cell. Then we can use the names from the named cells.