Re: [css3-regions] flow-into: <ident> content-only

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:00:13 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
On 4/19/13 1:50 PM, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:15 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> I chose element as the default because it works well for all cases, and
>> placing just the content has some odd edge cases (images, video, etc.).
>>So
>> I think it's better that you have to make a little extra effort to
>>choose
>> the contents path.
>
>What happens when the author tries to flow contents from a replaced
>element like an image?

I think it's exactly that happens when you flow contents from a
non-replaced element like a div. Remember that we're only affecting the
visual formatting. If you flow contents from a div, the boxes that would
render in the div's content box are rendered in the region chain instead.
So if you flow contents from an image, the box that would render in the
image's content box (the image itself) is rendered in the region chain. In
both cases, the stuff outside the content box (borders, etc.) remain in
the normal flow.

I am not an expert on image elements. So if I have made any mistaken
assumptions here, please let me know.

Thanks,

Alan