Re: [css3-regions] flow-into: <ident> content-only

On Apr 19, 2013, at 2:00 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 4/19/13 1:50 PM, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:15 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I chose element as the default because it works well for all cases, and
>>> placing just the content has some odd edge cases (images, video, etc.).
>>> So
>>> I think it's better that you have to make a little extra effort to
>>> choose
>>> the contents path.
>>
>> What happens when the author tries to flow contents from a replaced
>> element like an image?
>
> I think it's exactly that happens when you flow contents from a
> non-replaced element like a div. Remember that we're only affecting the
> visual formatting. If you flow contents from a div, the boxes that would
> render in the div's content box are rendered in the region chain instead.
> So if you flow contents from an image, the box that would render in the
> image's content box (the image itself) is rendered in the region chain. In
> both cases, the stuff outside the content box (borders, etc.) remain in
> the normal flow.
>
> I am not an expert on image elements. So if I have made any mistaken
> assumptions here, please let me know.

I think that would be odd, if the border was left behind, and an un-border-able image was sent into the flow. Which box would be affected by something like 'img { width:100px; }', and does the answer change if you had 'box-sizing:border-box'? Also, this would be inconsistent with the way ::after cannot add content inside the image's content box, because we don't treat that content-box as a container.

I think it would be better if replaced elements just ignored the 'contents' element keyword, and just always acted as though it was 'element'.