Re: [css3-text] Support cropping in the middle of texts (Was: Re: [css-text] Support cropping in the middle of texts using 'text-overflow')

On 09/04/13 21:34, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> Since there was no feedback so far to my request, I wondered if I posted
> it with the wrong label.
>
> The request was to allow cropping strings in the middle instead of the
> beginning or the end.
> There was already some discussion about this on Mozilla[1]. Though it
> seems to be something that the CSS standard should implement.

FWIW, this is something I needed to use for <input type='file'> UI
refresh in Firefox. Instead of using HTML/CSS, the label had to be done
with a special XUL element that supports cropping in the middle.

Showing a file name is a good use case for cropping in the middle
because you definitely want to be able to read the beginning of the name
such as the extension. I do not know if that is enough to add this to
the CSS specifications but I guess allowing developers to write a good
<input type='file'> custom UI [1] would be interesting.

[1] This is nowadays doable by hiding the element and forwarding the click.

--
Mounir