Re: [css-variables][naming] Renaming 'var'

From: Adam Prescott <adam@aprescott.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:56:28 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 14 April 2013 02:33, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> If you think that `color: blue` modifies the `color` variable so that it
> has the value `blue` rather than whatever value it may have had, and the
> previous value of the variable is lost in the process, then sure, that's
> just "normal css". That is not how I think about it though.

I think I'm missing the distinction between this "setting values and
losing the original" and whatever other interpretation there might be.
Is it to do with selector inheritance and cascading, in that the "old
value" doesn't get replaced, it just gets superseded by a more
specific selector's declaration?

Perhaps concrete examples showing why setters and getters differ from
var() and var- would help resolve the confusion here.