Re: [css-variables][naming] Renaming 'var'

* Brian Kardell wrote:
>On Apr 13, 2013 8:08 PM, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> The `var-` prefix exists only because a namespacing mechanism is needed
>> to avoid clashes between pre-defined and author-defined properties. The
>> `set-` prefix conveys that even less than `var-`. We call `color: blue`
>> a declaration, but `set` does not "declare", it "sets"; obviously there
>> would be a reason why the designers of this syntax chose "set" as name,
>> rather than something with more declarative semantics, so custom proper-
>> ties work differently than normal properties. Obviously `get` would get
>> the value associated with the name when it was last `set`, and "when" is
>> temporal, so in order to understand what value `get` retrieves, I have
>> to understand the execution order of the `set` instructions...

>As opposed to understanding the that var- sets and var() gets with the
>exact same need to understand everything else you just described, which is
>all normal css?

If you think that `color: blue` modifies the `color` variable so that it
has the value `blue` rather than whatever value it may have had, and the
previous value of the variable is lost in the process, then sure, that's
just "normal css". That is not how I think about it though.