Re: [css-overflow] pathological fragment box generation

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:45:47 -0700
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thursday 2013-04-04 20:36 -0700, Alan Stearns wrote:
> There will be some cases where overflow:fragments will generate fragment
> boxes that can not fit any content fragment, and pathological cases where
> box generation could enter an infinite loop, like this:

>   .too-big {
>     height: 100px;
>   }
>   .too-small {
>     height: 50px;
>     overflow: fragments;
>   }

Well, the traditional way of handling this sort of case in multicol
or print is to ensure that every column/page contains *some*
content, so we never start the next column/page in the same
situation.  In that model, there's no problem here; the big item
just gets placed.  (I was assuming that's what css3-break specifies
or will specify; maybe that's not the case.)

It's not clear to me that suppressing this in the case where
something won't fit in the current fragment but might fit in a later
fragment is an important enough use case to be worth implementing.

-David