Re: [css-overflow] pathological fragment box generation

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> Well, the traditional way of handling this sort of case in multicol
> or print is to ensure that every column/page contains *some*
> content, so we never start the next column/page in the same
> situation.  In that model, there's no problem here; the big item
> just gets placed.  (I was assuming that's what css3-break specifies
> or will specify; maybe that's not the case.)
>
> It's not clear to me that suppressing this in the case where
> something won't fit in the current fragment but might fit in a later
> fragment is an important enough use case to be worth implementing.

Yes. That would require some kind of lookahead to see if there's a later
fragment we can fit the content into, because if there isn't we'd want to
put the content in the current fragment even though it overflows. That
would be horrible to implement, so let's not :-).

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq