Re: [css-color] Starting CSS Color 4

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:58:58 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 03/04/2013 23:47, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> I just drafted up a CSS Color 4 draft.  It's only a few changes from level 3:
>
> * rgb() and rgba() functions now accept <number> rather than <integer>.
> * hsl() and hsla() functions now accept <angle> as well as <number> for hues.
> * All uses of <alpha-value> now accept <percentage> as well as <number>.
> * 4 and 8-digit hex colors have been added, to specify transparency.
> * The color-correction property has been pulled in from the
> unpublished Color Correction proposal.
>
> The first three are consistency/usability fixes, the fourth is
> something I requested a long time ago, and the fifth seems useful and
> appropriate to include in this module, rather than its own module.
>
> Do we think that 'color-correction' is sufficiently mature to go into
> this level?  Are there any other features that might be appropriate to
> include (perhaps the other color-* properties from SVG)?
>
> Also, can I publish this as FPWD?

I don’t have an opinion on color-correction, but I support the other
changes and a FPWD.

Just an editorial detail: it would be nice to have a single definition,
maybe in grammar form, of the syntax of <color> values. Something like:

     <color> = rgb() | rgb() | hex-color | …

where each alternative links to the relevant section.

In particular, if I’m reading Appendix A right ("UAs must support …"),
this definition would include system colors.

--
Simon Sapin