Re: [css4-images] Color stop syntax

From: Pete Boere <pete@the-echoplex.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:10:49 +0100
To: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> Neither I nor anyone in the 300 authors in the audience could see what
was wrong with it

I think this is surprising, but perhaps this just proves that most authors
are currently copying and pasting their gradients rather than handwriting
them with one of the numerous generators or framework abstractions out
there [1].

What with gradient functions being relatively complex already I think It
*might* be better for readability to keep this restriction, and prevent
situations like:

    linear-gradient( top, red 14%, 14% orange, 14% yellow, green 14%, 14%
blue, indigo 14%, violet 14% )

Rather than enforcing structure:

    linear-gradient( top, red 14%, orange 14%, yellow 14%, green 14%,
blue 14%, indigo 14%, violet 14% )

> Your arguments could apply to most CSS shorthands. Do you disagree with
them as well?

Is it fair to compare the conventions used in function arguments directly
to wider shorthand conventions in CSS? I'd assume it's ok for them to be
distinct as their purposes are more specific.

[1] http://cognition.happycog.com/article/preprocess-this

--
Pete Boere
Web Developer