Re: [css3-text] text-decoration-order

From: Lutz Issler <lutz.issler@systemantics.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:33:29 +0200
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, 张立理 <otakustay@gmail.com>
On 2012-09-20 7:04, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kanghaol@oupeng.com> wrote:
> Suppose that we can't change CSS 2.1, GrayZhang (Cced) and I suggest we
> make UA draw underlines above text when 'text-decoration-style' isn't
> 'solid', but I am also curious how strong the use cases of something
> like 'text-decoration-order' is.

When it comes to design and especially typography, CSS would be best to
support everything InDesign supports. Not sure about the
text-decoration-order there though (a check would be worth it), but in
my daily work, I often face the need for text-decoration-width,
text-decoration-offset and custom styles like background-colors limited
to the x-height of text.

> (It's worth figuring out at which position Word 2010 and TextEdit draw
> underlines too.)

 From a quick test is appears that underlines in TextEdit don’t cross
descenders (text-decoration-skip: ink), so it’s hard to tell.

Cheers

   -.Lutz.-

--
Lutz Issler

Systemantics GmbH, Willich, Germany, Amtsgericht Krefeld, HRB 13492
Director: Dr. Lutz Issler, VAT-ID: DE815126198

+49 2154 953793-1
www.systemantics.net / Twitter: @Systemantics_ / @lutzissler