[css3-break] Fragment content displayed outside fragmentainer boundary

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:58:51 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: "hyatt@apple.com" <hyatt@apple.com>
I think we should have a section in css3-break (perhaps 5.4?) that defines
what happens when content in a particular fragment is displayed outside
the fragmentainer boundary. Two instances of this are relatively
positioned elements and line boxes at the top of the fragmentainer with a
line-height insufficient to enclose the content. The test file in a recent
css3-regions thread [1] shows non-interoperable behavior with multicol
elements across all browsers.

I think some of the differences are just bugs. But what happens with
relatively-positioned elements appears to be a result of two solutions
arrived at separately because there is no spec that says what should
happen. Since this is shared behavior between columns and regions, I think
it belongs in css3-break.

The question on relative positioning is whether the offsets apply relative
to the fragmentainer or the fragmented flow. In the former solution, a
line box shifted down at the bottom of a fragmentainer would appear below
the fragmentainer box. In the latter solution the line box would appear at
the top of the next fragmentainer in the fragmentation context. I think
that the former solution is preferable.

Here's my initial stab at some text to add for relative positioning:

  Once the fragment contents for a particular fragmentainer are
  any offsets from relative positioning are applied relative to the
  of the content in the fragmentainer, not the position of the content in
  the fragmented flow.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Sep/0268.html