Re: [css3-background] box-shadow spread definition in terms of blurring is wrong

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 23:26:29 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
On Sep 7, 2012, at 8:31 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> That said, the definition in terms of blurring is required to do
> spread on text-shadow, where we can't just "expand a box".

You can expand the outline. If you center a stroke on the glyph's path, as with postscript strokes, then assume a path width of twice the absolute value of the spread measurement (rounded corners, so no miters). The outside edge of that stroke defines an outer, positive spread, and the inside stroke edge defines a negative spread or a positive inset spread.

For bitmap fonts, you still have problems though, I suppose.