Re: [css-counter-styles] Ambiguity with prefixes

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:35:57 -0700
To: Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Roland Steiner
<rolandsteiner@google.com> wrote:
> The paragraph on prefixes
> (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#counter-style-prefix) states:
> "Prefixes are added to the representation after negative signs." Does this
> mean "prepend the prefix after the negative sign has been applied", or "in
> the position after the negative sign"? I.e., with
>
>     prefix: '/';
>
> Will -3 be represented as '/-3' or '-/3' ?
>
> Technically, the paragraph on 'suffix' is similarly ambiguous, but both
> readings will give the same result.

I think it's technically well-defined (you apply the negative sign,
then the prefix, and the prefix is added by prepending it to the
representation so far), but I can clarify it a bit in the spec.

For your example, the intended representation is "/-3".  When used
with more traditional prefix/suffixes, like "(" and ")", it'll look
like "(-3)".