Re: [css-variables] How to spec the OM for vars?

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 17:34:54 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On 9/3/12, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 9/3/12 12:25 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> The use of a ReservedWord as an identifier will fail with SyntaxError
>> in some less-recent implementations (those that did not support what
>> was then a syntax extension).
> Can you point to such implementations that are otherwise fine to use on
> the Web at this point?
What happens when the little 'compatibility view' icon, conveniently
located next to the 'reload' button, is clicked? What does IE8 do? (I
ask because XP is limited to version 8 of Internet Explorer).

>> What does it mean to "delete the value of a variable"? How can a value
>> be deleted? It almost looks like an attempt to redefine the delete
>> operator. What is this?!
> It's a definition of what "delete el.style.var.foo" does (though it can
> also affect other things, like attempts to use Array.prototype.shift on
> the object in some cases).  You can see the spec at
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#delete

At a glance, it looks like it results in a boolean value (imagine my
surprise at this newfangled and wondrous behavior).

and that will be called
> from ES-262 revision 5 section step 3, which is itself
> invoked from ES-262 revision 5 section 11.4.1 step 5 substep c.
> I'm not sure why you're so incredulous about "attempt to redefine the
> delete operator", by the way, given that Harmony proxies have a delete
> trap that's designed to allow proxy implementors to do precisely that.
Redefining the result of the `delete` operator, as it has been for the
last 13+ years, in CSSOM vars, so that it can result in a string

Twitter: @xkit