Re: [css-variables] How to spec the OM for vars?

On 9/3/12 12:25 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> The use of a ReservedWord as an identifier will fail with SyntaxError
> in some less-recent implementations (those that did not support what
> was then a syntax extension).

Can you point to such implementations that are otherwise fine to use on
the Web at this point?

> What does it mean to "delete the value of a variable"? How can a value
> be deleted? It almost looks like an attempt to redefine the delete
> operator. What is this?!

It's a definition of what "delete el.style.var.foo" does (though it can
also affect other things, like attempts to use Array.prototype.shift on
the object in some cases).  You can see the spec at
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#delete and that will be called
from ES-262 revision 5 section 10.2.1.2.5 step 3, which is itself
invoked from ES-262 revision 5 section 11.4.1 step 5 substep c.

I'm not sure why you're so incredulous about "attempt to redefine the
delete operator", by the way, given that Harmony proxies have a delete
trap that's designed to allow proxy implementors to do precisely that.

-Boris