Re: [CSS3 Color] Proposed erratum on currentColor

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:42:10 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 10/30/12 12:37 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> That was what my proposed text tried to clarify (and the answer was at
>> used value level, because I didn't want the value 'inherit' being inherited
>> through color and then applied to other properties).
>
> That doesn't match what Tab said....

Confusion in word usage.

'inherit' *never* appears at the specified or later level - it's
*solely* a cascaded-time value.  It turns into the parent's computed
value at specified-value time.  (Or maybe I'm misremembering what we
intend to define in Cascade, and it sticks around to specified-time,
but is guaranteed to disappear at computed-time. Whatever, doesn't
change my point.)

Point is, computed value of 'color' is always a real color. If the
specified value is "currentColor", then it computes to its parent's
computed 'color' value, *the same as if the specified/whatever value
was "inherit"*.  (Doing it this way means we get the full suite of
inherit behaviors for free, such as working properly on the root,
etc.)