Re: [css4-images] support for SVG Paint Servers without element()

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> This leads to signification issues with CSS Masking. The 'mask' property
> is a shorthand property for 'mask-image' and therefore takes an CSS Image.
> But it can have a reference to a mask element too.

That's true. Getting both Webkit's behavior and the SVG spec's behavior
into a single property is going to be a problem.

fill: url(something);  /* reference to a paint server */
> fill: element(something) /* reference to CSS Image */
>
> background-image: url(something) /* reference to CSS  Image */
> background-image: element(something) /* reference to a paint server */
>

> The opposite way on two different properties with similar goals.

Who is suggesting "fill: element()" refer to a CSS image? Certainly not me,
and I don't think anyone else is either.

Do you have a proposal how to do it on CSS Masking without breaking the
> implementations on WebKit and Firefox?

I don't. I think we should continue this discussion in www-svg though. I
laid out the issues a bit more clearly over there.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]