Variables and casing, again

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:16:50 -0400
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Looks like WebKit recently checked in a patch [1] that does some sort of
case-insensitive stuff on variables, via lowercasing them and then
comparing lowercased versions.

It's not quite clear to me what lowercasing algorithm it's using; at
first glance it's passing UTF-16 code units one by one to a function
that expects to get 32-bit codepoints.  But maybe that's just me
misreading the code.

In any case, whatever it's doing doesn't sound like anything we've
discussed on this list, since, again if I read the code right, it'll
treat I (U+0049) and İ (U+0130) as equal.

Can we come to a decision on this before UAs start shipping random gunk
like that and causing backwards-compat problems?  :(

-Boris

[1] http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/131313