Re: [css3-page] Allowed page breaks for inline-block

On Saturday 20 October 2012 15:24:30 Koji Ishii wrote:
> Recently I heard two different interpretations of "Allowed page
> breaks" in CSS3 Paged Media[1] (and also the same text appear in CSS
> 2.1,) I appreciate experts' opinion for what's the expected
> behavior.
>
> Consider the following markup.

> The spec says "between line boxes inside a block box." When " DEF DEF
> DEF..." is very long, longer than a page, I heard two different
> interpretations.
>
> 1. <p> is a block, and the <p> has a big line box. Since the linebox
> is bigger than the page, it's an overflow behavior and therefore
> page can break anywhere, even if it's at the middle of a line inside
> the span.
>
> 2. There are nested line boxes inside the span. UA should only break
> pages between the line boxes inside the span.
>
> Which is correct?

You cannot break between the lines in the span without also breaking in
the middle of a line box of the p, which isn't allowed. In other words:
an inline-box is never split over two pages.

(If the paper is too small and some of the contents ends up not being
printed at all, you might want to print it separately in a different
way, to avoid losing information, but section 4.2 says explicitly that
that is outside the scope of CSS.)

> Note that IE behavior is 2, and Firefox/WebKit is 1.
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#allowed-pg-brk

Bert