Re: Custom pseudo-elements collisions, was: Need a better way to reach into the shadow DOM subtree

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:21:33 +0200
To: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Dimitri Glazkov" <dglazkov@google.com>
Cc: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>, <www-style@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins" <tabatkins@google.com>
|  I am re-visiting this -- time to add custom pseudo-elements to Shadow
|  DOM spec! -- and would like to solicit ideas/opinions on the topic of
|  collisions.

I'm in favor of a user prefix. Since 'x-' happens to be the preferred one,
why not 'x-'.

However, I'm unsure about your goal here. Do you intend [[ #id::x-element ]]
to match more than one element? Because if you want this, custom
pseudo-elements aren't the right tool for you. In that case, you need a
custom pseudo-class and a "shadow-walking" operator. Something like:

    #id .. div:x-selected { ... }

Custom pseudo-classes were already proposed in the past (but died because of
weak traction) so this isn't a non-sense to reintroduce them now we have
good use cases for them.