[css3-conditional] Error handling (was Re: Minutes Telecon 2012-10-17)

On Tuesday 2012-10-23 13:26 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> After discussing this with fantasai, I'm fine with her preferred
> solution - treating parenthesized groups the same as a function, where
> if the grammar isn't recognized, it's treated as false rather than a
> syntax error.

My one worry about this is that it might make it harder for authors
to test what they've written.  For example, with this rule,
(not (X)) and (X) are always inverses, even if (X) is a syntax
error.  While this perfect symmetry is nice, it might make errors
harder to notice.

Do we think enough authors look at things like browser error
consoles while developing that this isn't an issue?  Or that the
property of making errors more noticeable isn't actually helpful to
authors anyway?

I'm inclined to agree we should make this change; I just wanted to
bring up this point.

-David