Re: [css-masking] new value for 'mask-clip'

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:43:58 -0700
To: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>

On Oct 23, 2012, at 5:22 AM, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org<mailto:robert@ocallahan.org>> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com<mailto:dschulze@adobe.com>> wrote:
I would suggest a new keyword 'group-box'. If that keyword is used, the union of border boxes of the current element and all descendant elements get computed and used to specify the clipping area.

That's still going to clip off box-shadows and outlines etc.

Why not simply allow 'mask-clip:none'?
Not sure if that can be easily implemented on all platforms (since some graphics libraries and some HW accelerated need a maximum size anyway).

But my main concern are percentage values that always need to be resolved to to one of the boxes on mask-clip. Sometimes you want them to be relative to the whole group.

For your shadow example we have filter-box.

Greetings
Dirk

Rob
--
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. ... If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]