Re: [css4-images] support for SVG Paint Servers without element()

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 01:17:21 +1300
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> As conclusion, I wonder why CSS4 Images can't support SVG fragment
> identifiers directly:
>
> background-image: url(image.svg#gradient1);

The code paths to load an SVG document as an image and an SVG document to
provide an external resource such as a paint server are quite different, in
Gecko at least. We need to know when we start loading the document which
situation we're in. With your syntax, we can't know until the document is
loaded. We use the presence of element() to signal that we're in the
external resource situation.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]