Re: [css-variables] Resolving fallback-enabled cyclical property references

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:49:24 -0700
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Fran├žois REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Here was my (favorite) technical challenge of the week-end:
>
>    el {
>        my-property-a: get(   my-property-b || no-b    );
>        my-property-b: get(   my-property-a   );
>    }
>
> I would like to get things like this resolve to :
>
>    el {
>        my-property-a: no-b;
>        my-property-b: no-b;
>    }

I'm fine with making something like this work, but I question the
usefulness.  Cycles in your variables aren't an intentional feature;
they're an authoring error, and I define cycle detection just as an
error recovery mechanism.  While we could do more work to minimize the
amount of damage when fallback values exist, is it worthwhile to spend
the effort doing so when the original markup causing the problem is
clearly an accident?