Re: [cssom] Make CSSStyleSheet constructable

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:32:35 -0400
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>
On 10/19/12 11:16 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
>> OK, I'm with you so far.  So we want to have a way to link to stylesheets
>> from this declaration file and say "this stylesheet applies to all
>> components defined in this file".  Which could be as simple as "this <link>
>> is in <head>" or whatnot, right?
>
> Yup.

OK, good.  So we have a declarative solution here, excellent.

>> Ah, so in this case there is no declaration file at all?
>
> Right.

OK, I agree that's a use case we want to address.  I assume there is no
convenient object that represents a set of component definitions that
are all related that the sheet load could hang off of?

My main concern with making CSSStyleSheet objects directly constructable
is that it seems like it creates various footguns, in terms of
specification, implementation, and use.  Most importantly, it lets you
share a single CSSStyleSheet across multiple pages, including pages that
are not same-origin due to document.domain changes....  So if there is a
way to address the use case without creating all the same complexity, I
would be in favor of it.

-Boris