Re: [css-display] Unofficial draft of a Display spec ready for consumption

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> In that vein, I don't really see the benefit of display-extras. Can we just
> make list-item it a display-outside value? It'll still have some special
> behavior that other display-outside types can't reproduce, but that seems OK
> to me. For example, I don't see a use-case that requires being able to have
> inline list-items. You can't do that today, right?

You *can*, but you have to float them, so it's of limited utility.

Inline list items do have use-cases.  Book footnotes are sometimes
formatted in this way, for example.  This is why I've added an
'inline-list-item' value to the Lists spec.

In any case, all it does it make it generate an additional
pseudo-element.  Assuming you can support ::marker at all (which we
can now do in Chrome!), it's trivial - just another ::before-like
element

~TJ.