Re: [css3-multicol] unknown available width and shrink-to-fit

Le 21/10/2012 02:46, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
>   > > available-width: if the used width of the multi-column element has
>   > > not been determined when the ‘column-count’ and ‘column-width’ must
>   > > be determined (e.g., if it is floating with a ‘width’ of ‘auto’ as
>   > > per CSS 2.1 section 10.3.5) this variable is unknown,
>   >
>   > If we have a separate definition of the multi-column element’s
>   > min-content and max-content measures, is this condition ever true? I
>   > think not: the used values of column-count and column-width only need to
>   > be determined for layout, after the used width is determined. Is this
>   > incorrect?
>
> If we remove lines 03-10, it must be true -- the used width of the
> multicol element must be known when we enter the pseudo-algorithm.

I was thinking with the opposite assumption: in the current draft with
lines 03-10 kept, in what cases is available-width unknown?

> Do you have a proposed text for the specification?

Ok, proposed change:

* Remove the definitions of the available-width and shrink-to-fit
   variables. (The whole <ul>.)
* Replace
     # There are two other variables in the pseudo-algorithm:
   with [1]
     | In this pseudo-algorithm, the <code>used-width</code> variable
     | is the used width of the multi-column element, as per CSS 2.1
     | section 10.3.
* Remove lines 03 to 10 of the algorithm.
* Replace remaining occurrences of the available-width variable
   in the algorithm by used-width.

[1] If deemed necessary, add after that a non-normative note:

--
Simon Sapin