Re: [css3-text-decor] text-underline-position (non-issue + info in Japan)

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 23:18:43 +0200
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> >> but I do not see any good reason not to do text-underline-position.
> > when line decorations are defined via @text-decoration this property
> > will be obsolete.
>
> No, see CSS Fonts Level 3[1]. The font-family property and the font-family
> descriptor in @font-face rule co-exists.

That's a bad example, because the font-family descriptor and the
font-family property have two different meanings. One holds the definition,
the other one references it.
This describes more a relation like @text-decoration underline { ... }
to text-decoration:
underline;.

See Word for another example, direct formatting and style rules co-exists.
> Both have good use cases and they co-exist.

I am not saying that direct formatting and style rules can't co-exist. My
point is that this direct formatting is too specific. It should be replaced
by something more generic to be forward-compatible.

Sebastian