Re: [css3-ui] nav-index <number> value

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2012, at 9:57 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
>>> in [1], it says:
>>> nav-index: auto | <number> | inherit
>>> Then
>>> <<
>>> <number>
>>>    The number (which is non-zero and positive) indicates the sequential
>>>    navigation order for the element. '1' means first. Elements with the
>>>    same nav-index value are navigated in document order when that
>>>    nav-index value is being navigated.
>>> If the first number non-zero and positive is '1', then the value is probably
>>> <integer> and not a <number>.
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-css3-ui-20120117/#nav-index0
>>
>> Yup, you're right.
>
> It would be better for authors if decimals could be used. So if there
> was already a 'nav-index:1' and a a 'nav-index:2', something could be
> inserted between them in the tab order with a 'nav-index:1.5'. Or before
> the first one with a 'nav-index:0.5'.

I don't mind if it's an <number> and not an <integer>, but in that case
'1' should not be listed as the first possible value (what if you have
nav-index:1 and want to insert something before?). In fact having a
strictly positive value always allow to put a new number before.
So either the text is amended, or the value type is amended...

...Or else, authors should learn to increment their values by 10 in case
they need to insert something later on (that will remind an old habit to
some of you :) ).

         ~~Yves