Re: [css4-background][css4-text] @pattern rule

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> - we're already looking into some forms of procedural generation there.
>> Some of your examples, for example, fall into the "cross-hatch fill" idea we
>> decided to work on at our last F2F, while others are simply existing
>> <pattern> elements.
>
> Great. Do you have some links to resources or discussions? Or were all
> discussions about that just F2F so far?

Just discussions at the F2F, but they were minuted:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2012Sep/0044.html

>> but I'm not sure how it would work right now.
>
> Mozilla already allows to use SVG filters within the CSS of a page. I assume
> fillings defined in SVG could be used in a similar way. (A pure CSS solution
> would be nicer, though.)

Yeah, the cross-hatch stuff will just be a new type of paint server,
so it'll integrate in the standard way (however Images 4 deals with
it).  I'm talking about tighter than that - avoiding having to link in
an external SVG file just to use some SVG fragments in CSS.