[css3-text-decor] text-underline-position (non-issue + info in Japan)

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:32:02 -0400
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
A follow up on the last conf call about the relationship of text-underline-position and overline; I thought I was mistaken but it turned out to be a non-issue as I re-read the spec[1].

Just FYI of the background. A publisher's association in Japan[2] has published a document for how publishers can create Japanese EPUB3 books today. Its version 1.0, published on Sep 11th, recommended to use 'text-decoration: overline' for underlines in Japanese vertical flow because there are some UAs that draw underlines on left today, and do not support text-underline-position yet.

I discussed with the editor last month and they published version 1.1 on Oct 12th, which adds 'text-underline-position: below left' to make sure the 'text-decoration: overline' appear on right for their files in future UAs.

So, it looks like what I recommended to them is aligned with the spec, and no issue here.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-decor-3/#text-underline-position
[2] http://www.ebpaj.jp/

Regards,
Koji