Re: [css3-writing-modes] css-logical (was before/after terminology alternative?

Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote on 2012/10/12 15:53:43
> Agreed, I meant it's 2B, should this be edited to be more clear?
>
> I'm actually +1 to Liam on this one, so my personal opinion is 1B+2B+3C+4A.

My opinion is 1B+2B+3A(or 3B, see comments)+4B.
Some comments:

> > 1A. before/after are hard to understand
> > 1B. not hard to understand

1B.
I understand the words start, end, before, and after as
    before something
    start something
    end something
    after something,
it is obvious that the before/after are outer side and start/end are inner side,
and blocks are outer things and inlines are inner things.

> > 2A. before/after needs to memorize which axis it indicates
> > 2B. head/tail doesn't better describe axis, should use other terminologies
> > if this is the motivation
('head/tail'? You probably mean 'head/foot' - the CSSWG's 2012-05-30 decision was)

2B.

> > 3A. Against any changes because of backward compatibility with XSL-FO
> > and TTML
> > 3B. terminology changes are ok as long as models are compatible
> > 3C. the compatibility is lower priority than improving

3A(or 3B).
"models are compatible" (3B) is not clear to me.
If this means that the terms in property names and values are
compatible and use improved terminology in the description,
I will support this.

I like 'block-before' and 'block-after' as improved terminology in
descriptions, but I don't like 'caption-side: block-before',
'padding-block-after', etc. (it should be 'caption-side: before'
and 'padding-after'.)

I also think that 'element-before' and 'element-after' may be
good descriptive terminology for understanding the ::before
and ::after pseudo-elements, but we cannot change the syntax
to ::element-before and ::element-after obviously.

I support XSL-FO/TTML compatible keywords start/end/before/after
and I support the 'start', 'end', 'block-before', and 'block-after' as
more understandable terminology in the description.
(For 'start/end', I don't think we need any change)

> > 4A. Split logical directions as it is too controversial at this point
> > and the demand is lower than other features in writing-modes
> > 4B. splitting doesn't make sense

4B.
Without logical direction terminology, the CSS Writing Modes spec
will be difficult to understand.
I hope CSSWG can agree keeping start/end/before/after keywords
and improving terminology in descriptions (block-before, block-after).

Regards,

Shinyu Murakami
Antenna House