Re: Alternative Style Sheets

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:20:08 -0400
To: "Markus Ernst" <derernst@gmx.ch>
Cc: "Dirk Schulze" <dschulze@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Le Ven 12 octobre 2012 13:14, Markus Ernst a écrit :

> I think that the concept of alternate style sheets is somehow too
> unspecific for this use case. To address it, it would be nice to specify
> a standardized set of style sheet alternatives for the most common
> accessibility needs, such as big font size, high contrast, keyboard-only
> navigation or whatever.

I do not agree. Any webpage can be styled to honor the preferred font-size
of the user. The font size should ideally be left to the user to decide.
So web authors shouldn't set it in webpage. Several people have explained
this before. Felix Miata, Stephen Poley, Oliver Reichenstein, etc

Web Browser Default Text Size
by Felix Miata

The Wrong Size Fonts Or why not to over-ride the reader's font size by
Stephen Poley
Adjusting your text size by Stephen Poley
This website, like all well-designed sites, uses the text size defined in
your browser. This means you can set it to whatever size is most
convenient for you.

The 100% Easy-2-Read Standard by Oliver Reichenstein (excellent read)

This paragraph (and the heading and subheading above) is in your browser's
default font (typeface) and default (base) text size. Web pages often try
to override this size for their body text. The better-designed sites won't
do this
Accessible Web design

Regarding high contrast, it is the responsibility of the web author to
make all of its webpages comply with standards of color
contrast/brightness as given by WAI and WCAG. There are tools and
tutorials on all this:

10 colour contrast checking tools to improve the accessibility of your design

Effective Color Contrast

My position is: by default, the persistent, the preferred and the
alternate [1] stylesheets should always respect and honor the user's
font-size as set in his UA and they should always have sufficient,
effective color contrast promoting readability/legibility.

[1]: Persistent, preferred and alternate are defined at

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite