Re: Alternative Style Sheets

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:49:07 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
At 11:19 -0400 10/12/12, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>I agree that UAs would need to be a bit careful here, but there
>really isn't that much to worry about in terms of performance.  The
>biggest issue is actually the need to have a CSSOM for all those
>stylesheets and the resulting memory use.

    That's all good to know.  Thanks!

>>  There would likely also be privacy questions to worry about.
>
>Which ones?  I can't think of any that are not already present with
>normal stylesheets, but if you have specific concerns I'd love to
>hear about it!

    I can't think of any either, but then I had no particular inkling
that ":visited" would create extra privacy problems until someone
demonstrated that it did.  It seems obvious now, of course.

>>      And in all honesty, I'm not sure how interested users are (or ever
>>  were) in "re-skinning" the sites they visit.
>
>Pretty common for forums.  Or Bugzilla.  ;)

    True, but do we have any idea how often such things are actually
used?  I didn't even know Bugzilla had that feature.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/