Re: [css-regions] Handling circular dependencies between flows

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 07:44:25 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
On 11/10/2012 14:54, Alan Stearns wrote:
> On 10/10/12 10:54 PM, "Anton Prowse" <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:
>
>> Pedantic editorial comment rather than anything useful about the
>> proposal, I'm afraid, but here goes:
>>
>> On 10/10/2012 23:36, Alan Stearns wrote:
>>> Following the advice on this morning's call, I am stealing
>>> some text from css4-images [1] and will replace the current sentence
>>> above
>>> with a section that reads:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Named flows containing elements with the flow-from property set can
>>> produce nonsensical circular relationships, [...]
>>
>> Please can we avoid "element which has the X property set".  All
>> properties are set on all elements.  The question is what the value is
>> (and at what stage in the value determination
>> [cascaded/specified/computed/used/actual]).
>
> Thanks, Anton.
>
> I will change all of the 'flow-from property set' phrasing to "the value
> of flow-from computes to an <ident>"

Sounds good.  Other specs also use formulations such as "elements whose
'flow-from' value is not 'none'", in which it's implicit that the value
is the computed value.  (Bear in mind that 'inherit' is long gone by
computed value time.)

Is it an unwritten rule for CSS specs that values are to be interpreted
as computed values where not explicitly specified?  I think it generally
is in CSS21 at least.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net