Re: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:29:16 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, liam@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, www-style@w3.org, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "public-i18n-cjk@w3.org" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
On 10/10/2012 9:52 AM, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/04/2012 01:22 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
>> Just an additional datapoint in this discussion:
>>
>> I just noticed that CSS already has properties page-break-before and
>> page-break-after (see
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/page.html#page-break-props). Rather
>> obviously, these indicate the same directions as the -before and
>> -after relative direction properties already in XSL-FO, but are
>> orthogonal to the :before and :after pseudo-elements.
>>
>> These seem not to have caused any significant confusion up to now.
>
> Because there is only one axis involved. Imho the main problem isn't
> ::before and ::after, but the fact that, given the set of terms
>
>   start, before, end, after
>
> it's not clear, without memorizing it beforehand, which set belongs
> to which axis.

Why does each axis have to have its own term?

In a graph, both the x and y axis use "positive" and "negative"...

A./