Re: [css-counter-styles] Adding a 'speak-as' descriptor

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 07:35:31 -0700
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> First, 'speak-as' should explicitly behave like 'fallback' when using
> <counter-style-name>. Two scenarios need to be defined: what if there is no
> counter style with that name, and what if we end up in a loop.

Whoops, I had those details in, but reworded it and didn't restore
them.  I'll fix.

> Second, the property mixes pre-defined keywords and user-defined idents with
> the same syntax. This has several consequences:
>
> What if I have a counter style named "bullet"? This is not a problem with
> list-style-type: re-defining an existing style (even built-in) is
> well-defined. But with 'speak-as' the two kinds of idents are of a more
> different nature.

I thought about adding a note for this, but decided against it.  You
simply can't fallback to a counter style with one of those names, is
all.  Not a big loss.

> Also, can future levels add pre-defined keywords? (What about existing
> content what that keyword was a <counter-style-name>?)

Theoretically, yes, though it means doing some compat checking.

> Finally, whatever we decide language-wide on case sensitivity for idents
> will apply here.

Yup.